Sunday, January 07, 2018

Focus and Let the Celebrating Begin



This week I am celebrating learning, focusing and meeting goals.   I'm celebrating accomplishment.  I'm celebrating being Google Certified Level 1!

My journey began awhile back.  I considered going for the Google Trainer Certification but then had to scale back because personal life took priority over professional life.  So last summer, I restarted with going for Level 1 since I joined up with a district team of teachers who were part of the Keys to Successful Technology Integration.  At that time, I worked on completing the first 8 units...personal life took priority again as I was dealing with my dad's hospitalization, my mom's dementia and then my dad passing away.

Finally over break, I revisited the Google Training Center.  I love the first quote you see on that page:
It's really true for me-learning never stops.  I worked on completing the last five units for Level 1 Certification and then signed up to take the exam.  It truly took almost the whole three hours to complete and consisted of two parts.  One part contains the twenty multiple choice questions-not just a,b, c, d-like but hard multiple correct selections as well as drag and drop sorts.  The other part is eleven multi-step scenarios where actual use of Google's tools are put in place.

As I readied to submit my exam for grading, I sucked in a huge breath and hit submit.  I prayed to God at that moment that all of the hard work and energy I put into completing the task would pay off.

tick-tock
tick-tock
tick-tock

Seconds and then minutes passed as I waited for the email to announce whether I'd passed.

Ding!

You've got mail...

I opened the email and SURPRISE!


The notice that I passed!  YAY!

Now, on to Level 2.

Some advice for others who decide to go for it...

Studying helped.
Going through the quizzes at the end of each unit helped.
Reading the scenarios and working them out on my own helped.
Using Google Tools regularly helps (our district is a Google Apps for Education district).

Celebrate with me!  So happy to have met this goal.  I think this experience helped me find my One Little Word for the year...Focus.  However, that is another post for here in the cafe.


5 comments:

Julieanne said...

Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishiment Amy. Love the look of your blog!

Amy Rudd said...

Thank you very much! So excited to move on to the next level.

Carol Varsalona said...

Yeah and a big congratulations to you, Amy. Life does get in the way but you managed to figure a way around the challenges. In due time all comes to us if we are patient and of course, focused. I needed to hear how you persevered today as I am trying to get the NCTE proposal written. FOCUS! Yes!
I am sorry for your challenges and hope that life gets sorted out for you.

Linda B said...

To take your break to finally complete this personal goal is wonderful, Amy. Sending hugs and my congratulations to you! It's fabulous news! And it seems that your OLW is already working, right? Happy New Year!

Kendra said...

Amy! Your blog looks amazing. (I know...it's been awhile for me!) And congrats on your Google Certification! That is wonderful! Much to celebrate here!